Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Haiti Multimedia Sites

One of the sites that I liked most was the incorporated multimedia in its coverage of Haiti was CNN.com. Their interactive site featured video where you are able to click and drag and see different vantage points on the ground in Haiti. The video also featured natural sound and background noise. I really felt like I was there on the ground with this very useful tool.

Here is the link.
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2010/01/world/haiti.360/index.2.html


Because the New York Times is the New York Times they have a entire page dedicated to multimedia features on the Haiti earthquake. The page features audio, video, and even maps and diagrams. The page lists almost 40 different features. Some of my favorites are "A Closer Look at the Destruction in Haiti" a interactive tool that allows you to look at different places around Haiti and access the damages. Another favorite is the "Missing in Haiti" feature that allows for you look for your loved ones that are missing in Haiti. I liked that the arranged the pictures on poloroid pictures.

Here is the link
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/01/17/world/americas/haiti-earthquake-multimedia.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi, you are reading my mind-these two are among my favorites. I love them!

    I would be glad to stop by my blogging sphere to see more relevant websites that I view often.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristilyn - I especially enjoyed the CNN 360 interactive that you found in the search for multimedia coverage of Haiti. It is a great resource for an ‘outside’ viewer and it helped create a feel for area and the devastation. Through the Haiti coverage I’ve found it tough to get a sense of where things are located and all of the devastation that has occured. This is a great tool that CNN has put together and that you found!
    -Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Haiti 360! You're right about the use of natural sound and video to put you on the ground in the middle of the chaos. It engages all your senses and is a wonderful way to draw the news consumer into the story. Once again, CNN has applied cutting edge technology in a creative way.
    Thanks for showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristilyn,

    I also really like the CNN website. I think they always do an excellent job on providing readers with the most in-depth coverage. I was unaware that the NYT had such an extensive site dedicated to Haiti. I really like the audio feature that the site provides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since CNN vamped its website it reminds me more of a blog format in order to make it easier for users the same thing with NPR. I think that all news organizations will follow suit before long so they have a way to present information to their audiences.

    ReplyDelete